Schoolgirl’s death in Kalutara: Police identify mystery caller



Main suspect before forensic medical officer on 16 May

By Hemantha Randunu and  R. A. S Premathilake

The last phone call received by Tihara Nirmani, 16, a schoolgirl from Kalutara, who died after jumping off a three-storey hotel building, was from her 19-year-old friend, who accompanied her to the hotel to meet Dhanushka Sahabandu, 29, who was with Tihara at the time of the incident, police have found out.

The 29-year-old man previously told the police that Tihara became so agitated and jumped off the window, following the call.The 19-year-old and her boyfriend had taken Tihara to the hotel and left her with the main suspect, police said.

Investigators are to obtain a statement from the 19-year-old female to determine what the conversation she had with Tihara for her to get so agitated.Meanwhile, Kalutara Chief Magistrate Neetha Hemamali Halpandeniya ordered that the 29-year-old suspect be remanded until 26 May.

Police produced the suspect before the court after detaining him for 48 hours for questioning. Attorney Sarath Karawita told the court that the police had also confiscated Rs 94,000 and bank cards and a house key. Karawita said these items had not been handed over by 12 May morning and that these should be handed over, as there are several dogs at his home and they had to be fed.

However, IP Dhammika de Silva said that these items had been returned to the suspect before he was brought to the court.Karawita said that his client was a heart patient and requested the court to provide him special security inside prison.

Chief Magistrate said protecting the suspect was the job of the prison. IP Bandara told the court that there were bite marks on the girls legs and on one breast. He asked the court’s permission to produce the suspect before a forensic medical officer.The Chief Magistrate ordered the police to produce the suspect before a forensic medical officer on 16 M


Hit Counter provided by technology news